[TRNSYS-users] Where is TRNSYS 16???

Michaël Kummert kummert at engr.wisc.edu
Thu Oct 21 15:52:26 PDT 2004

Dear TRNSYS users,

TRNSYS 16 beta testing started in early September and is coming to an
end. 50 users (in addition to the developers and distributors) were
invited to participate.

The distributors are currently testing the first release candidate and
we are fixing the last few problems. The first release should be shipped
to users in the next few days. We did not announce it because we wanted
the 3rd announcement to say "it's there" and not "it will be there soon".

Please note that printed manuals will not be available until the first
update. Discrepancies between the manuals and the program have been
plaguing TRNSYS 15 and we want to avoid that problem in TRNSYS 16, so
the first release will ship with online manuals only. The online
documentation set consists of 9 PDF manuals, fully searchable
individually and through a main index.

I am glad to inform you that no "failed to save" has been reported
during beta-testing of the TRNSYS Simulation Studio, and that TRNSYS 16
comes with an example file for Type 68 and Type 90 (which now includes
the modifications introduced in Type 190). It also includes a fix for
Type 60's problems, so it seems that we have addressed all recent
complaints to this list. This comes in addition to the numerous
enhancements that we announced earlier. TRNSYS 16 also comes with a
separate setup program that will optionally install up to 1.5GB of
weather data covering all regions in the world.

Even better, TRNSYS 16 comes with the same support as TRNSYS 15, which
means that you will be able to "vent your frustration" on your
distributors and this list, and that we will work hard to fix any
problem that you might (will? ;-)) encounter with the new release.

Thank you for your patience, and I am looking forward to reading your
first comments on TRNSYS 16 in a few days!

Michaël Kummert

PS.
Concerning the Fortran compiler: Both Compaq Visual Fortran 6.6 (CVF)
and Intel Visual Fortran (IVF) are fully supported to create and add new
components to TRNSYS 16. Actually any Windows compiler able to generate
a DLL (from any programming language) is supported, thanks to the
multi-dll architecture.
If you own CVF, we recommend that you keep using it, since the IVF
compiler still suffers from various problems, especially when it comes
to porting applications that were developed with earlier Fortran
compilers. IVF also takes much longer to compile any serious project and
generates DLL's that can be twice as big as CVF. If you have to purchase
a new compiler, then we recommend IVF.

George Kyriakarakos wrote:

> Dear Sirs,
> Where is TRNSYS 16? It was supposed to be out last spring it got delayed
> for september and still is missing in action. Can we have an estimation
> on how much longer it will take before it actually gets shipped to us?
> Also one more question is which Visual Fortran you propose we should use
> with the upcoming version.
> Thank you in advance,
>
> George Kyriakarakos
> George Kyriakarakos, Agricultural Engineer
> Agricultural University of Athens,
> Dept. of Natural Resources and Agricultural Engineering
> Iera odos street, 75, Athens 11855, Greece
> Tel. +30.210.5294046 (direct), Fax: +30.210.5294023
> Mobile +30.6942.046895
> e-mail: <gk at aua.gr>

Michaël Kummert

Solar Energy Laboratory - University of Wisconsin-Madison
1303 Engr Res Bldg, 1500 Engineering Drive
Madison, WI 53706

Tel: +1 (608) 263-1589
Fax: +1 (608) 262-8464
E-mail: kummert at engr.wisc.edu