[TRNSYS-users] Writing deck files in text editor/TRNSYS 16

Michaël Kummert kummert at engr.wisc.edu
Fri Nov 19 12:25:33 PST 2004

Just a comment about the second part of the question:

> And one more thing. Up until now I used TRNSYS 15 with compaq visual
> fortran 6.1. The procedure to recompile trnsys was a lot easier, compile
> the fortran code from the command prompt (or from visual studio), edit
> the link.cvf and recompile from the command prompt. All this took
> something like 20 seconds. Now with compaq 6.6 and TRNSYS 16 it took me
> a lot more time in order to pass all the options in the visual studio.
> Is there a way to do it as fast as in the past in the manner I have
> described above?

If you use CVF 6.6, you just have to open the workspace provided in
Compilers\Cvf66. You do not need to re-create a project from scratch,
the instructions in Volume 8 are for reference only.

Furthermore, adding Types does not require to recompile the main DLL.
You just need to drop-in a DLL in the Userlib folder. Of course, if you
are compiling the DLL yourself you still need a project with the correct
settings but the "Export as Fortran" feature in the Studio will do that
for you. Even if you are not using the Studio, I would suggest that you
create an empty proforma with the correct Type number, generate the
Fortran project and replace the generated skeleton with your code. While
you are at it, you could play a little bit with the Studio and ho knows,
you might want to continue using it ;-)

Finally, make sure you are using CVF 6.6B. The update is freely
available on the HP/Compaq website
(http://h18009.www1.hp.com/fortran/visual/update-66B.html)
There is a "6.6C" update available but it is not required to compile
TRNSYS successfully and many users have complained about it on the CVF
users forum so the TRNSYS developers have decided to stick with 6.6B.

Kind regards,

Michaël Kummert

Michaël Kummert

Solar Energy Laboratory - University of Wisconsin-Madison
1303 Engr Res Bldg, 1500 Engineering Drive
Madison, WI 53706

Tel: +1 (608) 263-1589
Fax: +1 (608) 262-8464
E-mail: kummert at engr.wisc.edu