[TRNSYS-users] Optimization

Michaël Kummert kummert at engr.wisc.edu
Fri Nov 5 07:49:34 PST 2004

Tshewang,

> Is it possible to import optimization subroutine developed in fortran to
> ISSiBAT envionment like other user modeled subroutines. Or otherwise, is
> there any modules available for optimization in TRNSYS, if so from where
> to get one. Please help.

I am not sure what you mean by "import in the IISiBat environment". In
order to use a Fortran routine in TRNSYS, you first have to create a
TRNSYS Type that "wraps around the routine" and respects the TRNSYS
conventions for intputs, outputs and parameters.  Then you can create a
proforma ("IISiBat component") which will allow you to use that
component in IISiBat projects.

Often people want to perform parameter optimization using a whole
simulation (e.g. run a yearly simulation of a solar system and find the
optimum collector area). In that case I don't think you really want to
create a TRNSYS component, you probably want a program that will call
TRNSYS repeatedly with different parameters and find the best
combination. GenOpt is the ideal candidate for such applications. You
can download GenOpt documentation and program free of charge from the
LBL website (http://simulationresearch.lbl.gov/GO/).
You will need to edit a few configuration files in order to get GenOpt
to work with TRNSYS. Another option is to use TrnOpt, a special program
that takes care of all the tweaking for you. TrnOpt is sold by TESS
(www.tess-inc.com) and is available for TRNSYS 15 (for a slightly
outdated GenOpt version) and 16 (for the latest GenOpt version).

I hope this helps,

Michaël Kummert

Michaël Kummert

Solar Energy Laboratory - University of Wisconsin-Madison
1303 Engr Res Bldg, 1500 Engineering Drive
Madison, WI 53706

Tel: +1 (608) 263-1589
Fax: +1 (608) 262-8464
E-mail: kummert at engr.wisc.edu