[TRNSYS-users] Window with shading

Jong, M.J.M. jong at ecn.nl
Wed Jul 14 00:32:04 PDT 2004

Christian, Michael and other TRNSYS users,

A few months ago I had a similar problem. What I did at that time was the
same as the third option that Michael suggested. What I first did was to run
a simulation with double glazing without the internal shading device. After
that I added an additional zone (with 2 single glazed windows) that
represented the air gap of the double glazing. I compared the results of
both simulations (annual heating demand) with eachother and there was a
difference. I adjusted the convected heat transfer coefficient of both
single glazed windows (on the "air gap side") just as long as I had the same
annual heating demand compared to the simulation with double glazing. In my
case both heat transfer coefficients were 0.3 kJ/hr m2 K. After that you can
add an internal shading factor (with an input) to the single glazed window
that borders on outside. It is a bit difficult to say if this represents
reality well, but I used it one time in my simulations and the results
seemed (and I want to stress seemed) to be OK.

There is maybe a better solution, but this is something that I did not know
at that time. With the window software you can configure 2 different
windows. One window represents the double window with the internal shading
down and the other window represents the window with the internal shading
device up. In Prebid, you can define the window ID number as an input and
depending the weather and indoor conditions you can switch the window in
your *.dck file. I have no experience with this and I do not know if it is
easy for you to define the 2 windows (internal shading up and down) with the
Window software, but I can imagine that it works well.

I hope this helps and as Michael already wrote, comments or other
suggestions are very welcome.

Regards,

Maurice Jong
ECN-DEGO