[Hap-users] Proposed case outside airflow rates

Aaron Smith via Hap-users hap-users at lists.onebuilding.org
Thu Jul 13 17:39:07 PDT 2017

Hi,

You shouldn't model double the amount of outdoor air.  You have two options:

1. When modeling a VRF System, you can choose "Common Ventilation System"
under the General Tab.  This will allow you to model your AHU under the
"Vent System Components" tab.  The one catch here is that it won't allow you
to choose chilled water cooling so if you have a chilled water cooling coil
in the AHU you'll need to model that as a separate system.

2. If you have chilled water cooling coil, I would also Choose "Common
Ventilation System" in the General Tab of your VRF system.  I would then
turn off the outdoor airflow in the Vent System Components tab by selecting
"Scheduled" Airflow Control and Creating a Schedule whereby the Ventilation
air is zero for all hours.  I would then create a separate system for the
AHU.  I would select "Chilled Water Air Handling Units" under Equipment Type
and HAP v5 now allows you to select "CAV - Make-up Air / DOAS" for the Air
System Type.  You can build the System and select the proper spaces which
should add the proper amount of outdoor air to the system.  If you don't
have HAP v5, select a "CAV - Single Zone" and under the Sizing Data tab, I'd
select "User-Defined" Sizing Data which will allow you to enter the actual
amount of ventilation (outdoor) air and you can enter the same number for
Supply Airflow in Zone Sizing.  This should create a 100% outdoor air unit.

Hope that helps,
Aaron

Aaron Smith, P.Eng
M&R Engineering Ltd.