[Equest-users] Modeling only the Common Areas in a Building

Nicholas CATON Nicholas.Caton at se.com
Mon Feb 14 23:41:38 PST 2022

Through the eQuest interface, you can accomplish much of what John is suggesting through the HVAC tab.  You’ll find a tab for each HVAC SYSTEM which will allow you to assigning the electrical and fuel loads for all associated ZONES (and for the SYSTEM) to a distinct set of meters.  By default, for projects developed with the Wizards, you can expect all loads will be assigned to the default meters EM1 and FM1.  Those dropdowns can be engaged after defining a new set of meters.

I think in practice you might find it easier to assign the loads/systems of interest (common areas for your case) to the default meters EM1 and FM1.  If you assign all other loads to a new set of meters, then I think you’ll find much of the default reporting through the “rainbow reports” will still reflect the energy usage of interest.

I’d also caution however that for certain HVAC arrangements common in some regions for apartments and hotels which utilize corridor HVAC to satisfy ventilation/pressurization requirements, you might find it difficult to simply draw a zonal/system line that cleanly separates the energy picture.  I guess the universal advice here would be to “follow the money” for whatever meters you intend to calibrate against, to ensure the correct energies are accounted for.

Hope this helps!

~Nick

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D8228A.E419FFD0]
Nick Caton, P.E. (US), BEMP