[Equest-users] Modeling in ASHRAE 90.1 2016

Javed Iqbal eee.javed at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 22:48:22 PDT 2019

Hello Matt,

- ASHRAE 90.1-2016, section G1.2.1 explicitly says that ' *The interior
lighting power shall not exceed the interior lighting power
allowance determined using either Tables G3.7 or G3.8 and the
methodology **described
in Sections 9.5.1 and 9.6.1'*. So it seems you need to refer G3.7 or G3.8
for LPD values and* Methodology* should be as per 9.5.1 and 9.6.1
- Table G3.1 5(a) says '*All components of the building envelope in the
proposed design shall be modeled as shown on architectural drawings or as
built for existing building envelopes*' with some exceptions but none
restricts proposed values.

I haven't used 90.1-2016 to a great extent but standard seems quite
straight forward with some changes in formatting (tables, references etc.)
compared to previous versions. I stand corrected if missed out anything
important.

hope this is helpful.

regards,

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 7:54 AM Matthew S. Garlick via Equest-users <
equest-users at lists.onebuilding.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> This is my first project using ASHRAE 90.1 2016 and I’m finding some odd
> instructions in Appendix G.
>

> A couple examples-
>
>    - Table G3.1 says that the baseline case is to use table G3.7 to
>    define space by space LPD, but the proposed has to comply with section
>    9.1.3. There’s a big difference between maximum allowed LPD between the two
>    tables, for example G3.7 calls for open Office areas at 1.1 W/sf but table
>     9.6.1 says 0.81 W/sf.
>    - Baseline Wall insulation for climate zone 5b, per table G3.1 and
>    G3.4-5 is to be simulated at a U value of 0.084. The proposed case must be
>    under 0.055 per table 5.5-5.
>

> Appendix G now has tables for envelope properties, equipment efficiencies
> and lighting power densities which all conflict with what we’re used to
> finding in sections 5, 6 and 9 in previous iterations of the standard.
> Reading table G3.1 it seems clear that they want us to use the appendix G
> tables to define the baseline and not the tables in the main sections, but
> this makes no sense to me.
>

> I feel like I’m taking crazy pills…can anyone shine some light on this?
>

> [image: TBCx]
>
> *Matt Garlick, CxA, CEM, BEMP*
> Building Efficiency Engineer | TBCx
>
> E-mail: msg at tbcxinc.com