[Equest-users] Modeling in ASHRAE 90.1 2016

Matthew S. Garlick msg at tbcxinc.com
Tue Oct 15 19:07:23 PDT 2019

Hi all,

This is my first project using ASHRAE 90.1 2016 and I'm finding some odd instructions in Appendix G.

A couple examples-

  *   Table G3.1 says that the baseline case is to use table G3.7 to define space by space LPD, but the proposed has to comply with section 9.1.3. There's a big difference between maximum allowed LPD between the two tables, for example G3.7 calls for open Office areas at 1.1 W/sf but table  9.6.1 says 0.81 W/sf.
  *   Baseline Wall insulation for climate zone 5b, per table G3.1 and G3.4-5 is to be simulated at a U value of 0.084. The proposed case must be under 0.055 per table 5.5-5.

Appendix G now has tables for envelope properties, equipment efficiencies and lighting power densities which all conflict with what we're used to finding in sections 5, 6 and 9 in previous iterations of the standard. Reading table G3.1 it seems clear that they want us to use the appendix G tables to define the baseline and not the tables in the main sections, but this makes no sense to me.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills...can anyone shine some light on this?

[TBCx]

Matt Garlick, CxA, CEM, BEMP
Building Efficiency Engineer | TBCx

E-mail: msg at tbcxinc.com<mailto:msg at tbcxinc.com>