[Equest-users] Fan Powered Terminal vs Std VAV Terminal

Paul Riemer Paul.Riemer at dunhameng.com
Wed Jul 10 08:12:31 PDT 2019

Morteza,
When series FPTUs are used throughout a system, the central fans typically have lower static pressure because the FPTUs are doing some of the air pressure work.  You may need to change that as well as changing the terminal units.  I don’t think any of us can say make a universal statement that FPTUs are more or less efficient than plain VAVs.  There are a lot of variables there including climate, fan system power, hours of operation, set back behavior, type and efficiency of the heating source, etc, etc.

Paul Riemer, PE, LEED AP BD+C
Senior Associate / Mechanical
DUNHAM