[Equest-users] HELP WANTED - Nick is Hiring

Nicholas Caton Nicholas.Caton at se.com
Tue Apr 16 14:26:44 PDT 2019

Hi everyone,

I'm excited to communicate a career opportunity with the community!

For the past few years, I've personally been growing my capabilities & world-view around building energy simulation within Schneider-Electric.  Behind this curtain, my team is comprised of approximately 25 full time energy engineers with diverse backgrounds and unique skillsets/strengths.  Friends in the industry during this timeframe have occasionally suffered my excitement around the work we're doing in "applied" or "real" energy analysis, accomplishing tangible change and good in the world... In turn, I am pleased to crack open a door of opportunity for others looking for a fresh and purposeful challenge.

After enjoying consistent growth and year-over-year success, we are in seeking some balance in our team's demographics.  Our internship and university outreach efforts have provided a healthy stream of new-to-the-industry candidates, however we are presently seeking conversations with folks who carry some-to-many years in industry.  "Gray hairs" are welcome / encouraged to respond... but please don't dye your hair... seriously... hair is in fact optional... as a matter of policy we do not discriminate on any decisions you have made or were born with regarding hair.  Phew, writing a job post is tough!

Some additional information, for the curious:

  *   Our primary simulation platform is doe2/eQuest.  Candidates more practiced with other hourly simulation software/engines (i.e. Trace, HAP, Openstudio, IESVS, etc) are however certainly of interest.
  *   People / Team management experience is not a prerequisite, but we do have location-specific needs in that area.  There are no wrong answers here, but be prepared to voice with me whether people management is something you are interested to do more or less of.
  *   Occasional daytime and overnight travel is a regular part of the job, primarily for executing building audits and for regional & national meetings and professional development.
  *   Energy engineers in this company are leaders who guide and define project scope for others who design and construct the projects.  If you have practiced or even dipped your toes into "energy simulation-aided design," you'll recognize that we are practicing an practical and economy/risk-conscious version of that concept every day.
  *   You will be expected to budget your time to directly inform the project development schedule and deadlines you and others will be responsible to keep.  As you might imagine, ownership of your billable schedule can and does lead to relatively reasonable and predictable working hours.  We care and watch out for each other regarding family/work:life balance.
  *   Without going deep into platitudes, if I could say one thing to describe the team dynamic it would be that we value a very strong learning culture.  Everyone teaches, everyone grows, and we hold each other to it.  I feel this culture is a major reason that we've seen consistent success in attracting and retaining experienced analysts/engineers from other sides of the industry.
  *   Location / Relocation - Our team concentrates between a number of 'hubs' across the USA:

-          Lenexa, KS (near Kansas City, KS)

-          Costa Mesa, CA (Los  Angeles / Orange County)

-          Carrollton, TX (Dallas)

-          Richmond, VA

-          Birmingham, AL

-          Cincinnati, OH

  *   Recognizing I'm posting to a community of building energy simulation practitioners... I will not list out core skillsets we generally share as a group.  If however your career and experience ticks ANY of the following boxes, you might be a particularly great fit (include on your resume!):
     *   Building MEP Systems, Automation Systems, and/or Power Generation Asset Design & Specification
     *   Commissioning or Retro-Commissioning of installed systems (Cx/RCx)
     *   Big Data:  Database creation/manipulation/visualization
     *   Statistical Risk Analysis
     *   "I have been called an Excel wizard" (even if hard to admit)
     *   Calibrated energy model baselines
     *   Bridging the execution gap between AMY (historical) and TMY weather for savings projection
     *   Reverse-engineering utility rate tariffs/structures to accurately predict the value of energy savings measures
     *   Discussing incentive programs and/or rate structures with utilities

If you are interested and would like to learn more, please let me know!  I would be very happy to answer questions and provide further direction if you might be interested to apply for a position.

~Nick

[cid:image001.png at 01D4F468.67FAE8E0]
Nick Caton, P.E., BEMP
  Senior Energy Engineer