[Equest-users] MIN-AIR-SCH and Economizer Implementation

Bishop, Bill bbishop at pathfinder-ea.com
Thu Aug 30 08:17:00 PDT 2018

Hi Daric,
Nick Caton and I had a discussion on this on 6-Sept-2017 (if you care to check the list archive). The primary takeaway was this realization:

-        I think a value of 0.001 in practice means "zero OA will be delivered, unless determined beneficial for economizer purposes.  There is no minimum OA requirement for this hour." ~Nick Caton
I haven't tested this lately but I believe it is correct. Using 0.001 in the MIN-AIR-SCH sets the hourly minimum outside air requirement to zero.
You can test this in your test model setup by using a MIN-AIR-SCH with values of -999 and looking at the custom hourly report you created with supply air flow and OA ratio to identify hours when the OA% is higher than the minimum requirement. This will confirm that the economizer is occasionally activated. I would skip the Miami model (as economizer is rarely beneficial) and potentially modify a test model to increase the likelihood that an economizer would be helpful. Perhaps use a low non-zero minimum OA requirement and an undersized air handler and see what that does to the custom hourly report numbers.
FYI your test iterations #2 and #3 below are described identically.

Regards,
~Bill

William Bishop, PE, BEMP, BEAP, CEM, LEED AP
Senior Energy Engineer

[Pathfinder-EA-logo-2]T: (585) 698-1956                        F: (585) 325-6005
bbishop at pathfinder-ea.com<mailto:wbishop at pathfinder-ea.com>        www.pathfinder-ea.com<http://www.pathfinder-ea.com/>
[cid:image006.png at 01D44053.3299F200]134 South Fitzhugh Street
Rochester, NY 14608                                Ask me why Carbon Fee & Dividend may be right for you.
*****Pathfinder's Summer Hours begin June 4th.  Our switchboard and office will be closed at noon on Fridays through August 31st.****