[Equest-users] Wall insulation in multifamily buildings

Joe Huang via Equest-users equest-users at lists.onebuilding.org
Wed Mar 15 16:28:52 PDT 2017

Here I am trying to keep the "chain letter" going :-)

Nick has hit upon something that's a bit of a sore spot for me, i.e., modeling buildings
by the intent or rationalization of a building policy, rather than documentation of how
buildings actually behave.  I've always been skeptical of this "pressurization == no
infiltration" claim that I've heard going all the way back to the early 1980s. I can see
how pressurization might keep out infiltration, but wouldn't it then result in
exfiltration, which would be a net loss of conditioned air that needs to be made up by the
air handler?

The most rigid application of what I call "modeling by intent" was when I introduced the
use of DOE-2 for a new residential building energy standard in China. When the topic got
to be infiltration, I heard that should be set at 1.0 ACH, which was mandated as the
amount of fresh air needed to an occupied space, although no equipment nor technology was
mentioned for maintaining such a steady flow of air.  It must be "smart air". as one
reviewer commented at a critique in Arizona upon seeing an architect's drawing with arrows
bringing in natural ventilation horizontally into a building...

Joe

Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.
346 Rheem Blvd., Suite 205A