[Equest-users] PV inverter heat?

Bishop, Bill via Equest-users equest-users at lists.onebuilding.org
Fri Feb 24 09:49:55 PST 2017

I'm working on a small net-positive-energy project in New York and considering all low-energy options for heating the building. It will have a PV system and I'd like to model waste heat from the inverter to consider putting it indoors. The waste heat would be a sensible heat gain that varied with solar radiation. (The greater the solar radiation, the higher the PV output and the more waste heat off the inverter, on the order of 400 watts for an 8 kW system.) I'm thinking of modeling the inverter as a south-facing window since heat gain to the space would vary with solar radiation. The trick would be to zero out as much as possible the window thermal conductance or make it equal to the outside wall value.
Thoughts?

Thanks,
~Bill

William Bishop, PE, BEMP, BEAP, CEM, LEED AP | Pathfinder Engineers & Architects LLP
Senior Energy Engineer

[cid:image007.jpg at 01D28E9C.7EA2B340]  [cid:image008.jpg at 01D28E9C.7EA2B340]

134 South Fitzhugh Street                 Rochester, NY 14608

T: (585) 698-1956                        F: (585) 325-6005

bbishop at pathfinder-ea.com<mailto:wbishop at pathfinder-ea.com>             www.pathfinder-ea.com<http://www.pathfinder-ea.com/>

[http://png-5.findicons.com/files/icons/977/rrze/720/globe.png]Carbon Fee and Dividend - simple, effective, and market-based.