[Equest-users] DOE 2 Expressions

Joe Huang via Equest-users equest-users at lists.onebuilding.org
Thu Sep 1 13:59:38 PDT 2016

Chris,

My intention was not to recommend using macros instead of expressions in eQUEST/DOE-2.2,
but suggesting that if macros and expressions share the same syntax, then the DOE-2.1E
manual would be a good place for documentation of the (common) syntax.

I've used DOE-2 macros extensively ever since they were developed in the early 1980's, and
in fact I can't imagine how to manage parametric simulations without them. One thing I've
noticed repeatedly has been that people who are unfamiliar with macros, especially those
unfamiliar with DOE-2, tend to underestimate what macros can do.  For example, I remember
a meeting at DOE in the early 2000's where someone from another National Lab dismissed
macros as simply doing "sequential substitution".  However, macros (and presumably
expressions as well) can import data from external files, do arithmetic operations
including trigonometry and exponentials, as well as Boolean operations.

In fact, I got so worked up talking about this (kudos to Monty Python's killer rabbit
scene in "Search for the Holy Grail"
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=monty%20pythom%20holy%20grail%20rabbit%20scene
:-) ) that I decided to cut out the section on macros from the 2.1E Supplement and have
attached it with this post.

Joe

Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.