[Equest-users] Outdoor swimming pool and heater

Elizabeth Gillmor elizabeth at energetics-eng.com
Mon Mar 28 09:14:25 PDT 2016

I use bin calcs for this, though I am interested to hear if others have a
better way.  Total load = losses from evaporation + radiation +
convection.  Use 8760 data from your weather file to get OA DB, humidity,
solar radiation, wind speed etc.  Useful paper with equations here:
http://www.mmshah.org/publications/ASHRAE%202014%20Evaporation%20paper.pdf

>From my bin calcs I get a total annual load in Mbtu/year, then convert that
to Mbtu/hr for the days that the pool is open (which averages the load
across its operating period), and model that as a process load on a boiler
loop with an on/off schedule ("on" during the open season).  It's a
relatively OK estimate for a fuel rate that doesn't have a demand charge,
but might not be the best way for your electric pool heater if you have a
demand charge on your rate.

*Elizabeth Gillmor  PE, BEMP, LC, LEED AP*

*e n e r g e t i c s  **consulting engineers, llc*
energetics-eng.com | 303.619.0091