[Equest-users] Outdoor swimming pool and heater

Christian Kaltreider ckaltreider at sudassociates.com
Mon Mar 28 08:42:12 PDT 2016

Rehana,

Estimating the energy consumption of a pool heater can be very tricky.  The dominant mode of heat loss is generally evaporation.  Some major influences include activity level of people using the pool (splashing/stirring increases evaporation), wind speeds, and the use of a pool cover.  The US DOE has some material on the subject:  http://energy.gov/energysaver/gas-swimming-pool-heaters  There is a table on this page which I have used to back calculate and extrapolate heating requirements for a specific project as a sanity check.

Also, ASHRAE HVAC Applications 2015 addresses pool heat loss starting on page 5.6.  The discussion is helpful and provides sound calculation methods, but they are more easily applied to indoor pools than outdoor pools.

That’s all I have at the moment; hopefully you can find some additional resources.

Good luck,

Christian