[Equest-users] Energy Recovery Wheel on VAV System

Miles H. Martschink miles.martschink at rmf.com
Mon Feb 1 08:28:58 PST 2016

Hello All,

I am trying to model an enthalpy energy recovery wheel on a VAV air handler serving multiple zones, and I cannot seem to get any exhaust air to pass through the wheel. I have specified the design exhaust loads at the Zonal Level and I have also setup the wheel control sequence using values that others on this forum have posted:

*        Operation = OA Exhaust DT

o   DT = 5 degree F

*        Operating Mode = OA Heat/Cool

*        Make up Air Temp Cntrl = Mixed Air Reset

*        Capacity Control = Bypass OA
Whenever I run the model I get an error stating, "Energy Recovery ventilator: S1 Sys (VAVS) has an exhaust flow 50% of the supply flow. Performance may be compromised. OA & Exhaust: 7313. 0." The total sum of all the Zonal Exhaust Loads in 5505 CFM, and none of this is making it to the wheel. Does anyone have any insight as to what I might be doing wrong here? My end goal is to have the wheel modulate the return airflow in order to match the Outside Air CFM demand by the VAV system. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Miles Martschink, Jr
Mechanical Design Engineer

RMF Engineering