[Equest-users] Healthcare Lighting Exception

Elizabeth Gillmor elizabeth at energetics-eng.com
Thu Nov 12 12:18:29 PST 2015

I don't believe that's the intent of the exception.  That is a pretty
typical design for exam rooms that I have seen, and the baseline LPD for
exam rooms is already quite generous at 1.5 W/sf for just that reason. (For
example, 3x32W T8 in an 8x8 room = 1.5 W/sf.)  Lighting for "exam purposes"
is not usually equivalent to lighting for "medical procedures".

But if they are really doing medical procedures in these rooms, and they
are having trouble complying with the 1.5 W/sf, you might have success in
using the exception if you separate the controls -- say, put the switch for
the 2-lamp "exam" lighting on the other side of the room such that it is
not normally turned on by someone entering the room.  Otherwise, if both
switches are at the door, the reality is that all lights will be used all
the time.

Good luck!

*Elizabeth Gillmor  PE, BEMP, LC, LEED AP*

*e n e r g e t i c s  **consulting engineers, llc*
energetics-eng.com
c 303.619.0091