[Equest-users] Healthcare Lighting Exception

Bikesh Dahal BDahal at EMEGroup.com
Thu Nov 12 08:46:06 PST 2015

Hi All,

I am currently working on a LEED project for an outpatient hospital facility.
The exam rooms in the hospital consist of a unique lighting controls system that I have not dealt with before. Each exam rooms consists of one fixture with 3 bulbs on it. However, out of the three, one of them is controlled separately and the other two are controlled separately.
The lighting designer is claiming that one bulb meets the foot candle requirements for general lighting and the other two bulbs are supposed to be solely for exam purposes. If that is the case I think that we should be able to claim the following exception for the wattages of these two bulbs:
Exception 9.2.2.3.c – Lighting specifically designed for use only during medical or dental procedures and lighting integral to medical equipment.

I was wondering if anyone has seen this situation  before and have been able successfully claim the exception for the above mentioned( lighting fixture, bulb, controls) combination.

Bikesh Dahal