[Equest-users] Hot Water Usage Percent

Nicholas Caton ncaton at catonenergy.com
Fri Dec 4 21:29:53 PST 2015

I do believe domestic hot water supply (and delivery temperatures, though
that isn't an input) should match between cases.  Do you have some sort of
energy saving measure that would most easily be captured with such a
differentiation and could not be accounted for in an increase/reduction in
hot water consumption volume (i.e. kgal per year)?

I'm guessing your reviewer didn't offer any more specific guidance / clues
for how they want you to separately account for cold water only usage?

To date I have not been called to make a "cold-water-only-usage" distinction
between residential and other lavatories, for LEED projects outside of
multifamily highrise (where SHW is a relatively bigger deal).  Perhaps I've
been lucky.  For multifamily projects there's a much more developed/involved
procedure for residential HW consumption between the energystar simulation
guidelines and their 'performance path calculator'.

This is the first time that sub-passage has been called to my attention in
the 1.4 Tables workbook.  I'm not aware of an 'official' source for
residential "cold-only operation percentage" or similar.  Perhaps you are
meant to rule-of-thumb it based on what you know about the occupancy,
whether there's hot water recirc present, whether the climate lends itself
to chilly hands, average dental hygiene ... etc.  Perhaps you could just
state something in response like "Based on XXX, we estimate these lavatories
operate in cold-only operation approximately 30% of the time.  Therefore we
apply a factor of 0.70 to the percentage calculated for the mixed condition
delivery temperature."

I think in reality, there are many site and occupant-specific factors that
would make "cold-water-only" operation percentage a highly variable thing
(i.e. this is a case-by-case thing).

If someone knows of a study/publication that nails this down however, I'd be
interested to know as well!

If you are really motivated, I suppose you could try, for each such fixture
type, working some of the current energystar guidance for multifamily
highrise backwards to contrast against the annual consumption you would
otherwise calculate for a fixed mixed delivery temperature at all times.
This will again involve site/occupancy specific variables such as
residential occupant density / usage patterns / etc...  The associated
baseline hot water consumptions involve a specific fractional schedule which
I suppose ought to be informed by the sort of data that would help us here
(but I truly do not know its origin).

~Nick

NICK CATON, P.E.
Owner