[Equest-users] Who has a big SIM?

Nicholas Caton ncaton at catonenergy.com
Fri Dec 18 11:54:00 PST 2015

Hey everyone!

I have an oddball request:  can anybody share from experience how large SIM
files can grow in size within your normal, “real world” usage of
eQUEST/doe2?

By “real world usage,” I don’t mean to ask how big SIM’s can get when
you’re *trying* to make them big... Rather just what size of SIM file
represents your own “worst-case” scenario.

I’m asking because I’m working on testing out a few different strategies
for parsing SIM outputs to weed out a particularly efficient approach (with
Python).  I’d like to get my hands on or to generate a suitable “worst case
test case” with which to evaluate my efforts.

Some observations:

·         The most complex project I’ve worked on in recent memory clocks
in around 24.7 MB.   Sadly, as a practice I usually strip out and delete
all output files when I conclude a project to save on disk space, so I
don’t have a lot of existing SIM examples lying around to simply check.

·         A “dummy” DD wizard model with zero detailed edits generates a
SIM weighting about 6 MB

·         It appears Custom Hourly reports add approximately 1.5 to 2 MB
apiece (+365 pages in the SIM file)

Thanks,

~Nick

*NICK CATON, P.E.*