[Equest-users] Modeling of indirectly conditioned spaces under ASHRAE 90.1-2007 AppG

Frédéric Genest, ing. fgenest_ing at bell.net
Fri Aug 21 15:12:07 PDT 2015

Greetings esteemed group.
I'm in the process on modeling an hotel project for LEED compliance.
If I read AppG correctly,  all "hotel-type" thermal zones are modelled as System 1 or or 2, one system per zone. The exceptions don't apply here (I think).
There is a dedicated outdoor air system supplying OA air to the guest rooms,  corridors  and a bunch of other spaces.
My problem is the following: the top floor corridor is the only location with a thermostat used to control the OA supply temperature  (to maintain that corridor between its heating  and cooling setpoints). The temperatures of all other thermal zones are basically uncontrolled (except perimeter zones which have baseboards,  which are thus controlled locally).
As such, to avoid generating unmet load hours,  I've set the temperature shedules to 199F in cooling and 0F in heating. The resulting temperatures are satisfactory and not that far from the controlled one on the top floor.
However, the baseline building will now have thermal zones with PTACs and setpoints that will basically prevent those from operating.
Any word of advice on this issue would be welcome.
Thanks.
Frédéric Genest, ing. M.Sc.A.LEED BD+C, ASHRAE HBDP
DURASIMfgenest_ing at bell.net 514-250-4074