[Bldg-sim] [TRAINING] EnergyPlus & Modelkit Workshops | June 20 - July 25, 2024 | Live W

Aaron Boranian aaron.boranian at bigladdersoftware.com
Tue May 7 08:20:00 PDT 2024

Big Ladder Software is pleased to announce that we are offering a new *live
webinar* training series for EnergyPlus & Modelkit! The training series
will include our *EnergyPlus* for Practitioners
<https://training.bigladdersoftware.com/course/energyplus-for-practitioners-2024-06>
 workshop from *June 20 - July 11* as well as our *Modelkit* for
*EnergyPlus*
<https://training.bigladdersoftware.com/course/modelkit-for-energyplus-2024-07>
 workshop from *July 18-25*, and you're hearing about it before we do wider
announcements because you've created an account on our training platform. *Save
$115 if you register for both workshops!*

*Visit our training platform to register*
<https://training.bigladdersoftware.com/>

*https://training.bigladdersoftware.com/
<https://training.bigladdersoftware.com/>*

*EnergyPlus* for Practitioners
<https://training.bigladdersoftware.com/course/energyplus-for-practitioners-2024-06>

*Webinar Dates: *June 20 - July 11, 2024 (one webinar per week on Thursday
or Wednesday)

*Time*: Start each webinar at 8:30 and end at 11 AM or 11:30 AM each (US
Pacific Time)

*Price: *$695 USD per person

*Workshop Description*

- Have you ever wanted to truly understand how to use *EnergyPlus* at the
text level?
- Have you been using *OpenStudio*, *DesignBuilder*, or another GUI and had
the need to peek under the hood to debug a problem or implement a measure
or workaround?

*This workshop should be a prerequisite for anyone planning to work
with EnergyPlus regardless of what user interface you choose.*

This workshop focuses on the needs of the energy modeling practitioner in
order to get you up to speed and be highly productive with *EnergyPlus* as
quickly as possible. We cover the fundamentals of *EnergyPlus* such as
geometry and internal loads while rapidly ramping up to advanced topics
such as HVAC systems and controls. We guide you through the complexities of
the *EnergyPlus* syntax, input/output files, documentation, and essential
software tools including the *Euclid* plugin for *SketchUp*. Most
importantly, we teach you how to use the available resources to teach
yourself going forward.

Demonstrations and hands-on exercises are used extensively throughout. By
the end of the workshop, you should be comfortable with creating, running,
and debugging *EnergyPlus* models.

*Modelkit* for *EnergyPlus*
<https://training.bigladdersoftware.com/course/modelkit-for-energyplus-2024-07>

*Webinar Dates: *July 18-25, 2024 (one webinar per week on Thursday)

*Time*: Start each webinar at 8:30 and end at 11 AM or 11:30 AM each (US
Pacific Time)

*Price: *$395 USD per person

*Workshop Description*

*This workshop should be a prerequisite for anyone planning to work
with EnergyPlus DEER prototypes
<https://github.com/sound-data/DEER-Prototypes-EnergyPlus/tree/main>.*

This workshop teaches you to use the *Modelkit
<https://bigladdersoftware.com/projects/modelkit/>* framework developed by
Big Ladder Software for generating *EnergyPlus *input files. We cover the
basics of how *Modelkit* uses the *Ruby* programming language in
combination with a library of templates to highlight the benefits of these
features. We then describe the process of templates being combined together
in order to compose the *EnergyPlus* input file, and how parametric values
can be set in one template and passed to another. For example, changing an
HVAC system type from “CAV” to “VAV” would require changing a single
parameter – the templates are pre-configured to update EnergyPlus object
types, inlet/outlet node connections, and other details accordingly.

Next, we cover Big Ladder Software’s *Modelkit* Flannel framework that
simplifies parametric analysis by allowing users to set parametric values
in multiple CSV files and use *Modelkit* to automatically compose and
simulate EnergyPlus input files, as well as compare user-specified results
between simulations.

By the end of the workshop, you should be comfortable with creating and
simulating *EnergyPlus* input files using *Modelkit*. Demonstrations and
hands-on exercises will be used extensively throughout to generate models
with a range of energy-efficiency measures and HVAC system configurations.

*Previous experience with EnergyPlus is recommended but not required.*

Regards,
Aaron Boranian (he/him/his)
Senior Building Simulation Engineer
& Director of Training Services
Big Ladder Software LLC
<https://bigladdersoftware.com/>
 808.895.1741 <+1808-895-1741>
 1624 Market St, Suite 304, Denver, CO 80202
<https://goo.gl/maps/XdV4bXukiGBHVoV5A>
 bigladdersoftware.com

<https://static.bigladdersoftware.com/email-signature/redirect.html>