[Bldg-sim] Cooling Degree-Days For Jamaica

Paul A. Hay phcjam at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 3 18:30:04 PDT 2023

I am in the process of revising the Jamaica Energy Conservation Code and
would appreciate any advise on the captioned matter.

Jamaica's current building code classifies it as being in zone 1 of the
International Energy Conservation Code (IECC): which is equivalent to
the classification for Puerto Rico, U.S.Virgin Islands, and Hawaii.
However the 2021 IECC has introduced a new climatic zone '0' for
extremely hot climates.  The previously mentioned islands have retained
the zone 1 classification.  So we wish to confirm whether the same
applies to Jamaica.

Based on the 2021 IECC definitions, their climate zones are dependent on
the range of cooling degree-days (CDD) above 10 degrees Celsius (C), as
follows:

*Zone   Cooling Degree Days > 10 deg. C*

*0 *CDD> 6,000

*1 *5,000 < CDD < 6,000

Jamaica's current code simply describes it's capital,Kingston, as having
cooling degree-days above 18 deg. C. that is greater than 3,235.  Could
any of you advise where I could find Jamaica's cooling degree days above
10 deg. C., so that a decision can be made as to which climate zone is
applicable?