[Bldg-sim] Lies, darn lies, and statistics

Haberl, Jeff jhaberl at tamu.edu
Tue Mar 14 15:27:17 PDT 2023

Hello Chris:

Thanks for weighing in on the IMT and G14.

First, in your original email you said:

As one of the co-developers of the IMT and a Committee member of G14-2023, I guess I'd better weigh-in. There's a lot to unpack in one email, but I'll try.

However, before I start I need to say that G14-2023 is due out this year after public review and comment. Hence, I'd suggest you get a copy and take a look to see if it is improved or not.

In addition, the discussion of the IMT and Guideline 14-2023 should be separated, since one was an ASHRAE Research Project, RP-1050, that had the goal of developing public regression code that others could take and use to put "ASHRAE under the hood" so to speak.

The reason for this was that there were many "methods" that were out there that were proprietary, or perhaps published, that did not give the use a computer code that they could use freely, and/or embed into their code to produce similar results -- in fact, that was the purpose and the wisdom of the PES that developed RP-1050, to produce public code that other could use.

I agree that your issues on hourly vs daily vs monthly is not addressed in Guideline 14, nor in the IMT. This was not on purpose, it just happened. The reason is pretty simple, over the last 20 years, things have evolved, and folks have hourly or sub-hourly data available, and there's no advice as to what's what, and or what to use.

This particular topic is actually being addressed by ASHRAE's new Guideline 45R (yes, another guideline) that seeks to address energy use, indoor environmental parameters (i.e., comfort, IAQ, daylighting, etc.) into one guideline. Stay tuned.

However, in the current G14-2023, there is little advice as to when to use hourly, daily or daily and what for. Only modeling guidelines for a generic time frame.

Finally, there are details about using the IMT (and ASHRAE RP-1093) to develop baseline and post-retrofit that are now contained in G14-2023. So, hopefully this will help.

I agree that the statistical parameters for G14-2023 are rather strict, and I would encourage you to contact the Committee members that developed these (I'll be happy to say who in a separate email). However, suffice it to say, these uncertainty stastics are complex.

 As for the comment about modeling K-12 schools with monthly use, this has been addresed previously for monthly data in Margaret Fels 1986 Energy and Buildings article using a "PRISM plus UNDERBAR" method. Email me and I'll send you the articles.

Your reference to "GENOPT" makes he shiver, as I don't trust anything that I can't take apart and see how the parts work. So, I can't comment on this.

Yes, there are a lot of variables that influence whole-building energy use, however, that is the purpose of the analyst to tease these variables out of the analysis to see what's what.

"Healing" that data is needed since there are most likely "blips" in a multi-year data stream that are "out of bounds", and most likely should not be included in the analysis. Details of how this "period" was identified, and/or how the data were "healed' are necessary to explain to the authorities (in the case of an ESCO contract).

Monthly models can be garbage if there are big differences in the building operation from one month to the next. One example is university buildings, that have semester, non-semester and vacation periods that most likely need daily or even hourly data.

I'm nervous about "monthly degree-day" models since most commercial buildings don't behave as modeled by a 65F degree day model.

CVRMSE and adj R2 can go a long way in describing the accuracy of a model.

I agree that we need "some sort of representative simulation model"... however, none such exists at this time. So we need to rely on regression.

In regard to M&V plans, we've made many of these for ESCO projects in Texas that are mindful of resources and accuracyt, we'd be happy to share.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Jeff S. Haberl, Ph.D., P.E.inactive, FASHRAE,FIBPSA               We are like fluttering leaves on the branches of trees

Department of Architecture                                                       in the forests of the landscape that surrounds us.

Texas A&M University                                                                  If we could, for just a moment, flutter together,

College Station, TX 77845-3581                                                 We could lift the earth up to be a better place.  JSH 2022

Office: 979-845-6507, Lab: 979-845-6065

Fax 979-862-2457

jhaberl at tamu.edu,www.esl.tamu.edu<mailto:jhaberl at tamu.edu,www.esl.tamu.edu>