[Bldg-sim] Lies, darn lies, and statistics

Chris Yates chris.malcolm.yates at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 13:12:08 PDT 2023

I agree that better measurement is the key. It's surprising how completely
off the radar that is. There is an expectation of major interventions, new
facades, plant replacement, etc, but the basics get neglected.

I have a theory about using statistical models to assist with simulation
models. In theory, we should not just aim for low rmse, but coefficients
should be comparably close when performing the same regression on simulated
results.

Some more words of wisdom :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There_are_unknown_unknowns?wprov=sfla1