[Bldg-sim] Lies, darn lies, and statistics

Jim Dirkes jvdirkes2 at protonmail.com
Tue Mar 14 04:07:09 PDT 2023

Dear Chris,
Kudos for appreciating a gap in your understanding. (I'm in your camp)

On the other hand, there are SO many variables in building operation that, short of a highly instrumented (and carefully calibrated) building for everything from lights to people to plug loads to HVAC - calibration is a fiction (and I'm confident that no such building exists). Daily calibration is a complete fiction, perhaps even a deception. On top of that, a "calibrated" model is just a moment in time; everything going forward is guaranteed to be different than during the calibration time period.

I think of "calibration" as more like a sensitivity analysis - determine which variables matter more and which matter less. GenOpt works nicely for that purpose https://github.com/lbl-srg/GenOpt

Jim Dirkes 1631 Acacia Drive NW Grand Rapids, MI 49504 - 616 450 8653

Coffee Conversation:
The "individual" is an impossible concept, conceived by the Enlightenment philosophers. It makes no sense to the Christian. In marriages, and families, in associations and friendships and religious orders, we are not individuals, but a communion of persons.