[Bldg-sim] Lies, darn lies, and statistics

chris.malcolm.yates at gmail.com chris.malcolm.yates at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 03:52:27 PDT 2023

Hi All

I do find ASHRAE Guideline 14 a little too hardcore for my basic understanding of statistics. I can plug any of the equations into Excel, but I’ve realised my statistics understanding is very limited! (I’m outed!)

We don’t actually have to work to G14 in the UK (probably good because my copy is a bit old). I finally realised I didn’t know enough after I’d been (lazily) using R2 in Excel on some monthly data. I thought that R2 > 0.9 was generally ok… yeah, it wasn’t.

So, are there any easy to understand resources available?

I’ve been messing around with the IMT as well. It’s been fun going back to DOS 😊. This got me into daily methods, which leads to my next question. Is there any reason why there isn’t a daily calibration option specified in G14?

Many thanks!

Chris Yates