[Bldg-sim] Trace 700 vs 3D+ for load calculations

Andrew Corney andrew_corney at trimble.com
Mon Feb 28 13:29:43 PST 2022

One interesting question would be to know whether anyone has done rigorous
analysis on whether buildings constructed using RTS calculations are
oversized and by how much.

I expect this would be a really useful exercise in growing your confidence
in the suitability of new calculations.

On Mon, Feb 28, 2022 at 9:03 PM Paul Riemer via Bldg-sim <
bldg-sim at lists.onebuilding.org> wrote:

> Hi Curtis and list
>
> Over the last 20+ years we have done most of our loads in Trace 700 and
> are aware of the need to migrate.  We answered a survey that implied Trane
> was considering modifying the sunset timeline but we have not read or heard
> anything lately.  We have started a modest comparison and are trying to be
> systematic and a bit rigorous about it.  In our study, internal loads and
> low mass wall/roof/window conductivity have seemed reasonably comparable.
> We are looking more at infiltration, solar gains, and ground coupled heat
> transfer.  We have not gotten to testing high mass scenarios. Yes the
> differences have us wondering if we 1) trust that 3D is more accurate and
> we keep our standard safety factors OR 2) devise workarounds and/or
> different safety factors OR 3) find another software package.  We have not
> used 3D output for a live project and we have not communicated with Trane
> about this.  I would be open to a conversation next week or later.
>
> Thanks,
>

> *Paul Riemer*, PE, LEED AP BD+C
> Senior Associate | Mechanical
> D: 612-465-7696 | C: 612-220-2301
>
> 50 South Sixth Street \ Suite 1100
> Minneapolis Minnesota 55402
>
> *DUNHAM*

*Andrew Corney* • PE, M.CIBSE, M.ASHRAE
Product Director - PreDesign <http://www.sketchup.com/predesign> & Sefaira
<http://www.sketchup.com/sefaira>
Trimble - Architecture & Design Division
andrew_corney at trimble.com

<http://www.sketchup.com/>
<http://www.sketchup.com/>
<http://www.sketchup.com/>