[Bldg-sim] Trace 700 vs 3D+ for load calculations

Paul Riemer Paul.Riemer at dunhameng.com
Mon Feb 28 13:03:42 PST 2022

Hi Curtis and list
Over the last 20+ years we have done most of our loads in Trace 700 and are aware of the need to migrate.  We answered a survey that implied Trane was considering modifying the sunset timeline but we have not read or heard anything lately.  We have started a modest comparison and are trying to be systematic and a bit rigorous about it.  In our study, internal loads and low mass wall/roof/window conductivity have seemed reasonably comparable.  We are looking more at infiltration, solar gains, and ground coupled heat transfer.  We have not gotten to testing high mass scenarios. Yes the differences have us wondering if we 1) trust that 3D is more accurate and we keep our standard safety factors OR 2) devise workarounds and/or different safety factors OR 3) find another software package.  We have not used 3D output for a live project and we have not communicated with Trane about this.  I would be open to a conversation next week or later.
Thanks,

Paul Riemer, PE, LEED AP BD+C
Senior Associate | Mechanical
D: 612-465-7696 | C: 612-220-2301