[Bldg-sim] Climate change-modified simulation weather files

Joe Huang yjhuang at whiteboxtechnologies.com
Sun Feb 7 01:12:49 PST 2021

Hazem,

A colleague and I have been developing Future Year weather files for the past four years
using a hybrid method that does frequency analysis of future year weather time series out
to 2100 from dozens of Regional Climate Models,  and combines that with historical weather
data to produce future year weather files for any location for which there are historical
data.  Such a method differs from the "morphing" technique that has been more commonly
used whereby the monthly averages and daily range from a historical weather file are
adjusted according to what the models say. To summarize the difference between the two
methods, "morphing" assumes the climate patterns don't change but just get shifted, while
the hybrid method tries to replicate the future climate patterns and downscale them to a
specific location using the historical data.

So far, we've generated future year weather files for over 120 locations around the world
(see attached list), and have plans to increase that to 200 locations before uploading
them to the White Box Technologies web site to complement the  5,000+  "typical year" and
160,000+ historical year weather files that are already there.  Furthermore, since our
procedure has been largely automated, future year weather files could be generated within
a day or two for any place with over 5 years of historical data,  or roughly 10,000 other
locations.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me via e-mail or post it on BLDG-SIM if
you think it's of general interest.

Joe

Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.