[Bldg-sim] Heated Only Residential Zones in 90.1 Appendix G

Jim Dirkes Jim at fsmgmt.co
Mon Jul 22 08:43:15 PDT 2019

Mr. Moltay,
Hoping to get a discussion started.....

I agree that Systems 9 & 10 are inappropriate. I suspect that there is a natural ventilation cooling scheme, since it's unlikely that a multi-family building will have "nothing" for cooling.

If that's true, you do have a cooling system, it's just not a mechanical system. The Baseline system would then be System #1 or #2 and your challenge for the Proposed system will be to demonstrate that it maintains proper control of temperatures and ventilation.

ps, You do not need to maintain typical temperature setpoints for, say an enclosed shopping center. If the owner agrees that 30C is acceptable as a cooling setpoint, then model that.

James V Dirkes II, PE, BEMP, BCxP
Team Lead - Building Performance
616 450 8653
Foresight Management
https://fsmgmt.co/

Coffee Conversation:

If “freedom” is ability to do whatever we want, whenever we want and with whomever… that’s lawlessness or anarchy. Try that with traffic…. then think about what might happen if you try it with your life.