[Bldg-sim] Energy Plus Site Shading

Michael J Witte mjwitte at gard.com
Fri May 18 11:57:34 PDT 2018

Do the zone origins have non-zero values?  If all of the zone origins
are (0,0,0) then relative is essentially the same as world. If the zone
origins have values, then the world coordinate of any point is the
relative coordinate plus the zone origin coordinates. For example, if
Zone 1 origin is (0,10,15) and one of the facade corners in relative
coordinates is (10,10,0), then the same point in world coordinates would
be (10,20,15).

Are the facades aligned with the cardinal directions, or are they
skewed?  If they are aligned, then you can easily add (or subtract) 30ft
from each of the facade corners to set your shading surface coordinates.
If it is skewed, then you will have to do some trigonometry to figure
out the x and y offsets.

IDF Editor will not alter any coordinates automatically when switching
between relative and world.

I don't  know if any programs will convert from one to the other, but
most tools that can import EnergyPlus idf files will accept either
relative or world and convert it to the standard method used in the
interface.

Mike