[Bldg-sim] Expert advice to show minimum efficiency compliance Table 6.8.1C [1 Attachment]

Jim Dirkes jim at buildingperformanceteam.com
Tue Mar 6 04:14:20 PST 2018

Javed,
I am inclined to agree with Mr. Bhatnagar, but think it will be worth
asking GBCI for a clarification so that you have greater confidence. The
"hybrid" nature of one air-cooled and one evaporatively cooled chiller is
unusual.

On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 11:35 PM, Mayank Bhatnagar via Bldg-sim <
bldg-sim at lists.onebuilding.org> wrote:

> Hi Javed,
>
> In my opinion the air-cooled chiller efficiency should be used. As in the
> hybrid cooler (with water sprayer), the water spray is limited to only 200
> hours in a year which is approximately 2-5% of the total hours in a year.
> So the worst case scenario would be air-cooled chiller.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Regards,
> Mayank Bhatnagar
> Senior Project Manager
>
> *Environmental Design Solutions Pvt. Ltd. [EDS]*
> D - 1/25
> Vasant Vihar
> New Delhi - 110057
> India
>
> On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 10:47 PM, Javed Iqbal via Bldg-sim <
> bldg-sim at lists.onebuilding.org> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>>  I would appreciate your expert advice on selecting 90.1-2010 Baseline
>> system to show minimum efficiency compliance as given under *Table
>> 6.8.1C*. One of the proposed project i am working on has two* Chillers*
>>
>>    1. *One  with Std. Dry Coolers *
>>    2. Second chiller has special arrangement where the surrounding air
>>    of cooling tower being cooled (dry bulb) by some sort of misting to
>>    increase the dry cooler effectiveness during extreme outdoor condition
>>    (CZ5A) ~ 80% lower water consumption compared to typical water cooled
>>    cooling tower. In this hybrid cooling tower, evaporation effect is
>>    happening but not like std. water cooled cooling tower.
>>
>> ​ To show minimum efficiency compliance, *what condenser type do i need
>> to choose*; Air or Water Cooled in both the Cooling tower type; Std Dry
>> cooler and Hybrid Dry cooler (see image below)?  ​Also find an
>> attachment to have more info
>> ​​

>> regards,​
>>
>> --
>>

>> Javed Iqbal, LEED AP, CEA
>> Sr. Energy Analyst

James V Dirkes II, CEO / President
The Building Performance Team Inc.
1631 Acacia Dr, Grand Rapids, MI 49504

(alphabet soup of efforts for greater understanding: PE, BEMP, BCxP, LEED
AP)

Direct / Mobile: 616.450.8653
jim at buildingperformanceteam.com

Website <http://buildingperformanceteam.com>l  LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/pub/jim-dirkes/7/444/413>

*Coffee conversation:*The first idea is the worst, but it is the most
important because it starts discussion and becomes the building block
for other ideas.