[Bldg-sim] 90.1-2013 Interior lighting - local control signification

Jim Dirkes jim at buildingperformanceteam.com
Fri Jan 5 11:55:17 PST 2018

Dear Julian,
A mon avis....

For the electrical designer, this requirement of 90.1 means specific
controls which allow various means of turning lights on and off.

For the modeler, it means determining an appropriate schedule for use which
reflects the lighting usage. In the past, it was common to apply a 10%
reduction in usage for areas which used an occupancy sensor. That reduction
is someone's best estimate, but is clearly an approximation because every
building will differ somewhat.

No one knows how occupants will *actually *use the available controls,
especially before the building is constructed. That means you must create
your best estimate of that usage in your model. The 90.1 User Manual has
"Estimated Operating and Occupancy Schedules" and I show one of them below.
That's a helpful place to start and might be all you need, unless your
client gives detailed operating information.

[image: Inline image 1]

On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 11:36 AM, julien dutel via Bldg-sim <
bldg-sim at lists.onebuilding.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> Long time ago, I posted an unsanswered question. Since the question still
> remain, I will try to explain it more clearly.
>

> I have a hard time to interpret what a “local control” means with
> 90.1-2013 - section 9.4.1.1(a):
>

>     “There shall be one or more manual lighting controls in the space that
> controls all of the lighting in the space. (…)”
>

> Each space have a lot of others control requirement like Restricted to
> partial automatic ON, Bilevel, Automatic partial off,etc.
>
> What does the local manual lighting controls need to do with all the
> lighting ? Do they need to complement the other control, or to bypass them
> with a forthright 100% ON / 0% OFF ?
>

> Many thanks
>

> *Julien Dutel*, ing. , CEM, CMVP | Conseiller et analyste en efficacité
> énergétique
>

> *Transition énergétique Québec*
> 5700, 4e Avenue Ouest, B-406
> Québec (Québec) G1H 6R1
> *Tél. *: 418 627-6379 <(418)%20627-6379>, poste 8060
>
> www.transitionenergetique.gouv.qc.ca

James V Dirkes II, CEO / President
The Building Performance Team Inc.
1631 Acacia Dr, Grand Rapids, MI 49504

(alphabet soup of efforts for greater understanding: PE, BEMP, BCxP, LEED
AP)

Direct / Mobile: 616.450.8653
jim at buildingperformanceteam.com

Website <http://buildingperformanceteam.com>l  LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/pub/jim-dirkes/7/444/413>

*Coffee conversation:*My opinion and experience:
The gospel of Jesus is without doubt the most beautiful world view on
our planet.