[Bldg-sim] measurement of SHGC in the field

Nathan Brown nathan at coolshadow.com
Fri Nov 10 10:07:30 PST 2017

Hi Chris —

That instrument won’t do it, because it is not sensitive to infrared. More than half of irradiance is in the near IR (aka solar infrared). You need a pyranometer (LiCor is our go-to <https://www.licor.com/env/products/light/pyranometer.html>, or an Eppley <http://www.eppleylab.com/instrument-list/standard-precision-pyranometer/> for critical measurements, although that is probably overkill for this). I would measure vertical irradiance just inside and just outside the glass under direct sunlight. Here in the Bay Area, there is a tool lending library that will loan a pyranometer. Perhaps you can find a similar source closer to you.

Best,
Nathan

Nathan Brown, BEMP, LEED AP ~ Associate
LOISOS + UBBELOHDE