[Bldg-sim] measurement of SHGC in the field

Chris Yates chris.malcolm.yates at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 03:08:18 PST 2017

Dear all

We are trying to get a reasonable estimate for SHGC in the field.

Our project is a retrofit of a relatively recent build that has overheating
problems. No records exist of the original glazing spec.

The glazing has a slight green tint; i.e. the "look and feel" of a fairly
modern spectrally selective product with g-value (sorry SHGC) of about 0.4.
However, a team member has now produced some records indicating this is
significantly higher (more like 0.6).

Does anybody have any experience or know of any research relating to this?

*I was thinking of something like this, taking measurements on the
horizontal and vertical plane inside and out:
https://www.uv-light.co.uk/meters/irradiance-and-exposure/
<https://www.uv-light.co.uk/meters/irradiance-and-exposure/>*

Our saint gobain rep tells me their spectrographic equipment is 50,000 GBP
- a bit out of our price range! (They've offered to test a sample for us!).

Cheers

Chris