[Bldg-sim] dwg - Design Builder and model variants

Jim Dirkes via Bldg-sim bldg-sim at lists.onebuilding.org
Tue Jun 6 04:06:58 PDT 2017

Mr. Bandurski,
DesignBuilder (DB) can import .DXF file and .GBXML files. It can also scale
.PDF files - you have several options for importing geometry information.
EnergyPlus (used by DesignBuilder) is not particularly suited for comfort
calculations; it's intended primarily for energy calculations. DB does,
however, have an optional CFD module which may be helpful.

For creating proper zone definitions for energy calculations, review the
ASHRAE 90.1 descriptions of zoning in Appendix G, section 3.1

On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 3:48 PM, Karol BANDURSKI via Bldg-sim <
bldg-sim at lists.onebuilding.org> wrote:

> Dear Experts,
>
> I start with Design Builder (I have used TRNSYS earlier). I am going to
> simulate multifamily residential building with about 170 apartments. I will
> simulate for HQE certificate: thermal comfort in summer, energy consumption
> and natural lighting.
>
> 1) Could you write me which way to create model from *.dwg file will be the
> easiest and the cheapest if I don't have SketchUp Pro?
> 2) From which model it will be better to start: general for energy
> calculation (zones are spaces with the same temperature) or more detailed
> for comfort calculation (bedrooms, living rooms separated)?
>
> I would be grateful for any advices!
>

> Kind regards,
> Karol Bandurski
> Karol BANDURSKI M. Sc.
> Faculty of Civil and Environemntal Engeneering
> Division of Heating, Air Conditioning and Air Protection
> Poznan University of Technology
> www.put.poznan.pl/~karol. bandurski
> https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Karol_Bandurski

James V Dirkes II, CEO/President
The Building Performance Team Inc.
1631 Acacia Dr, GR, MI 49504

(alphabet soup: PE, BEMP, BCxP, LEED AP)

Direct / Mobile: 616.450.8653
jim at buildingperformanceteam.com

Website <http://buildingperformanceteam.com>l  LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/pub/jim-dirkes/7/444/413>

*Coffee conversation:*… the minute one is labeled mean-spirited simply
for raising an opposing view, debate is silenced. If we disqualify
legitimate discussion, we compromise our ability to know the truth. We
need to cultivate the ability to disagree civilly and not take
opposition personally. We must also have the grace to allow our own
views to be challenged with evidence and reasoning…

.