[Bldg-sim] ASHRAE systems exception B interpretation

Elizabeth Gillmor elizabeth at energetics-eng.com
Tue Oct 13 10:55:21 PDT 2015

If your building has two distinct uses (say, data center and office), I
would have two different baselines, one for each.  Follow App G as if they
were each standalone buildings -- So for example, if each "baseline" system
is all 7 floors, I would have two system type 8's.

Then, within those baseline systems, if you still have deviant zones, you
could potentially pulll them out as separate PSZs, but I will bet that most
of the deviation goes away.

I have used this strategy for many mixed use buildings under LEED
(dorm/dining hall, hotel/office, Multifamily etc.), but it would be a good
idea to run it past your reviewer if you have that luxury.

Good luck!

*Elizabeth Gillmor  PE, BEMP, LC, LEED AP*

*e n e r g e t i c s  **consulting engineers, llc*
energetics-eng.com
c 303.619.0091