[Bldg-sim] 90.1 - lighting - Additional interior lighting power using non-mandatory control

Elizabeth Gillmor elizabeth at energetics-eng.com
Mon Nov 23 10:17:32 PST 2015

Lighting Power Under Control = the total lighting power (W) that is
controlled by whatever control factor is applicable.

Control Factor is a unitless percentage.  However, how you use it is going
to depend on what protocol you are following.  Appendix G and Energy Cost
Budget Method both treat CF differently from the prescriptive code.

Prescriptive code uses Control Factor as an additional allowance to your
baseline.  Appendix G and Energy Cost Budget Method do not; instead you
would have the option to either model controls directly (such as with
daylighting controls), or to apply the Control Factor as a % LPD reduction
to your Proposed Lighting Power Under Control (using only the watts
controlled by that particular control strategy).

So if I was an electrical engineer filling out COMCheck for the
prescriptive code, I would use Answer B above.  But neither would be
correct for Appendix G or code compliance energy modeling.

Cheers,
Elizabeth

*Elizabeth Gillmor  PE, BEMP, LC, LEED AP*

*e n e r g e t i c s  **consulting engineers, llc*
energetics-eng.com
c 303.619.0091