[Bldg-sim] Domestic Hot Water Heaters With VRF

Jim Dirkes jim at buildingperformanceteam.com
Thu May 7 12:25:34 PDT 2015

I haven't done this yet, but.....

   - The VRF object in EnergyPlus allows a water-cooled condenser.  I
   suspect you could connect that water loop to a water heater without
   difficulty and adjust the water loop pump power to zero, etc.  The E+ water
   heater allows two energy sources (water and gas, for example) so when
   winter rolls around, the gas can take over ... or something like that.
   - I have modeled VRF (prior to E+ having the capability) as a
   water-source heat pump system.  The condenser loop could pass through a
   water heater or heat exchanger and accomplish your goal. (If you use this
   approach, the heat pump COP must be very high so compressor power is
   ~zero.  The condenser loop chiller / heater must have efficiency curves
   that are similar to the VRF system)

On Thu, May 7, 2015 at 3:11 PM, Hollon, Ben <bhollon at antella-inc.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Has anyone ever had any experience with modeling a VRF system with
> individual hot water heaters tied into the refrigerant loop?
>
> We are debating in the office how this would be handled by an energy
> modeling program. In the summer you could produce almost free hot water and
> reduce the condensing unit load. But in the winter you would either need
> greatly oversized condensing units or auxiliary heat. I'm not aware of this
> level of functionality in an energy modeling program with domestic hot
> water heating. We are thinking you would need to perform some amount of
> calculations by hand with outputs from an energy model...
>
> Also, has anyone had any positive or negative experiences with this in
> terms of performance and operations?
>
> Thanks!
>

> <https://ee70db1b-a-1347254f-s-sites.googlegroups.com/a/antella-inc.com/cadstandards/other/Ant-Logo.jpg?attachauth=ANoY7crK3WoX4hU441SAa703fENBeWmmomx2fSEwMugePrx8z8UbHuYup2eh-hLOT4cCifwEfw-EWAzIKfrb50zUwHPiF0KXB-3KyY35c4CKX9033i50232S12FIWzuqbYM-NB1gCHyMd3lWot8TXxqNnFX24oedBXR2aqSvsFkMhpuy3RH-Ue-69vX4glR7HBtQScw8X_R1KwOLH0bh-eu-g2MF1uuWJ-jeHWzdoOweXgOBm4HdSN4%3D&attredirects=0>
>
> *Ben Hollon, EIT, LEED*®* AP BD+C, MBA*
>
> email:  bhollon at antella-inc.com <xxxxxx at antella-inc.com>
>

> ------------------------------
>  Antella Consulting Engineers, inc.
>
> 1600 Genessee, Suite 260 • Kansas City, MO 64102 • Tele: (816) 421-0950 • Fax:
> (816) 249-2439 • www.antella-inc.com
>

> DISCLAIMER: The information contained in this electronic communication, as
> well as in any attachments, is privileged and confidential and intended
> solely for use by the addressee(s). Any other use, dissemination, or
> copying of this electronic communication is strictly prohibited and is an
> interference with Antella Consulting Engineers, inc. confidential business
> relationships. If you received this communication in error, please notify
> me immediately and permanently delete the original and any electronic or
> printed copies of this electronic communication.

James V Dirkes II, PE, BEMP, LEED AP
CEO/President
The Building Performance Team Inc.
1631 Acacia Dr, GR, Mi 49504

Direct: 616.450.8653
jim at buildingperformanceteam.com

Website <http://buildingperformanceteamcom>l  LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/pub/jim-dirkes/7/444/413>

 The truth is still the truth, even if nobody believes it.  A lie is still
a lie, even if *everyone* believes it.