[Bldg-sim] September 3, 2015: Data Driven Design Process

Agnes, Dylan (dagnes@uidaho.edu) dagnes at uidaho.edu
Mon Aug 31 09:30:47 PDT 2015

BUILDING SIMULATION USERS' GROUP (BSUG)
Using post occupancy evaluation to develop data driven design process

[cid:85af039a-6964-4082-a566-f1ae0ff66d49]

Target Audience:

Engineers, Architects, & Simulationists -
CEU/PDHs AVAILABLE for in-person attendees!

Date and Time:

Sept 3, 2015 - 12:00 to 1:00 p.m. MT

Location:

UI - IDL Classroom - 306 S 6th St. Boise, ID

Registration:

Remote Webinar<https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/2554051524569445377> or Live Presentation<http://goo.gl/forms/4LsCjN0RXE>*
*FREE LUNCH provided to in-person attendees registered 24 hours in advance

Established in 1984, Lake|Flato believes in architecture that is rooted to its place, responds to the natural environment and merges with the landscape. With a palette of regional materials, we create buildings that are tactile and modern, environmentally responsible and well-crafted. The firm has been honored with over 200 design awards, including the American Institute of Architects Firm of the Year Award in 2004, eight Committee on the Environment Top Ten Project Awards, and the Global Award for Sustainable Architecture in 2014.

While we have been setting sustainability goals and simulating energy performance for years, we recently revamped our process and began implementing a more thorough, methodical approach to tracking and analyzing the actual energy performance of our residential projects. By installing energy monitoring devices to collect real time, circuit by circuit energy data, we have been able to drill down and find out precisely where every kilowatt-hour is being spent. The results have surprised us and caused us to rethink the way we simulate performance and the way we design.

Learning Objectives:

Attendees will understand what factors drive energy use in custom residential projects.
Attendees will learn about specific equipment used to monitor residential energy use.
Attendees will learn about Lake|Flato's residential sustainable design process.
Attendees will learn about techniques for analyzing energy use data.

Bio:

Corey Squire, LEED AP O+M is the Sustainability Coordinator at Lake|Flato. Corey works with all Lake|Flato teams to establish sustainability goals, analyze designs with simulation software, and collect post-occupancy performance data. He received a Bachelor of Arts in Environmental Studies from Oberlin College and a Master of Architecture from Tulane University. In 2012, Corey was awarded the Eskew+Dumez+Ripple Research Fellowship to study building post-occupancy energy performance and sustainable design processes. Corey's research on post occupancy evaluation in custom residential projects has been an instrumental contribution to Lake|Flato's innovative approach toward analyzing energy performance.

Dylan Agnes
Masters of Architecture Student
Urban Design Center Boise Campus
Email: dagnes at uidaho.edu