[Bldg-sim] deriving shorter timestep data from monthly or annual

Joe Huang yjhuang at whiteboxtechnologies.com
Sun Aug 30 21:33:36 PDT 2015

Jeff, Chris,

I don't think RP-1404 sounds the same as what Chris is after.  In
RP-1404, the goal is to find the shortest monitoring period, e.g., 2
weeks, from which long-term annual performance can be reliably
extrapolated.   From Chris' post, I get the feeling that he was
interested in ways to take utility bills and somehow disaggregate them
by end use and  shorter time periods (daily or even hourly).

If all you're working with is monthly gas utility bills, I can't think
of any other way than to regress them against variable-base degree days
ala' the Princeton Scorekeeping Method (PRISM).  Use the base
temperature with the best R2.  Then, take the average of the gas
consumption for those months with no degree days as the
non-weather-related gas consumption. The regression slope then allows
you to apportion the weather-related gas consumption by day.

All this assumes that both the base load and the heating load/degree-day
are constant, which may be rather dubious, especially for something like
a stadium.

That's all for my two-cents.

Joe

Joe Huang