[BLDG-SIM] [Campus Chilled Water] eQUEST: Central Chiller for Baseline?

Bill Talbert btalbert at aeieng.com
Thu Oct 18 16:00:35 PDT 2007

Jon,

You indicate your baseline system is System 1 - PTAC. I assume this is
per Table G3.1.1A in Appendix G. If you are simulating building energy
performance per Appendix G (i.e. LEED), then your baseline cooling type
would be Direct Expansion per Table G3.1.1B. Your proposed design
cooling source will be chilled water and you will be comparing it to a
baseline that is using electricity to provide DX cooling. Table G3.1.3.7
referenced in the original email from Yoko only applies if your baseline
system per Appendix G is System 7 or 8, so it is possible to compare a
baseline DX system with a proposed design on a campus chilled water
loop.

Table 11.3.2A is only applicable to the Energy Cost Budget approach
used to demonstrate compliance with A90.1. This is not applicable to
LEED unless you are only trying to meet Prerequisite 2 (now largely
irrelevant unless your project was registered before June 26, 2007 and
doesn't have to meet the mandatory EA Credit 1 - 2 points). If however,
this is the path you are on, then you would need to select your baseline
per Figure 11.3.2. System 1 as defined in Chapter 11 is a VAV w/fan
powered boxes. Based on your proposed design system description, it
looks like you would be using System 6 per Chapter 11.

Bill

Bill Talbert, PE, LEED® AP
Mechanical Systems
Phone: (608) 441-6677
E-mail: btalbert at aeieng.com

Affiliated Engineers Inc.
5802 Research Park Blvd.
Madison, WI. 53719
Tel. (608) 238-2616
Fax. (608) 238-2614

>>> "Jon Evans" <jevans at sustaineng.com> 10/18/2007 4:03 PM >>>

Sam and others,

I have a follow-up question related to your response on 9/25 to
purchased chilled water and LEED modeling.

I have a baseline building using ASHRAE 90.1 System 1 (PTAC Units). The
proposed building is using campus chilled water and fan coil units or
water source heat pumps.  Do I use electric as the source for the PTAC
cooling, or the campus chilled water? Using campus chilled water with
PTAC units is not a realistic option, but it seems like 90.1/LEED
requires this (Table 11.3.2A in 90.1-2004)- would USGBC consider this
fuel switching?

Also, as a general survey, what are the going rates for campus chilled
water and steam?  I have seen ~$0.70/therm chilled water (generated by
absorption chillers) and $0.35/therm for steam for a college dormitory.
I think these rates will vary by campus and end use.

Thanks for your guidance in advance.

-Jon