[Virtual-sim] IES Computer Configurations...

IES Technical Support support at iesve.com
Fri Aug 6 14:48:56 PDT 2010

Hi Josh,

Yes, the VE is fully compatible with Windows 7... we use it in-house on
many of our PCs.

15 minutes isn't what we'd consider a long time for a simulation at all.
You have to remember that eQuest runs only an hourly simulation, and
forgive me here because I'm not on to bash anyone else's products, it's
got a job to do and it does it, a relatively simple hourly simulation at
that.  The eQuest simulation has only one-way interaction between the
determination of space loads and the systems response to it for each
one-hour time step. The VE capability is more on par with Energy Plus if
you want to think about comparative programs.  You might like to do a
speed comparison between a model in EnergyPlus and VE... I think the VE
would generally be faster.

If it's simple loads you are looking for then perhaps the simulation
engine isn't what you should be using - the ASHRAE loads tool may be
more appropriate and a heck of a lot quicker if that's your main
concern.

I'm more concerned with the crashes than the "not responding" as this
just indicates that the program is in the middle of some intensive
calculations (we're looking at improving this actually).  The crashes
would indicate that there's something wrong with the model or that
there's been a possible interrupt while writing to a file.  One thing I
always recommend is to run the project on a local hard drive rather than
a network location as you can't always rely on time-outs not occurring
(it's not a program like MS Word... it's always writing to the hard
drive during a simulation).

I hope that's helped a little.

IES Technical Support