[Virtual-sim] Apache Engine and Multicore Processors

IES Technical Support support at iesve.com
Fri Aug 6 10:46:52 PDT 2010

Simon,

I'll address your two posts here if you'll allow me.

Using Multiple-core processors

We have developed multi-threading for both MicroFlo and Radiance.  We
are also researching adding the functionality to Apache and SunCast and
further down the line Flucs.  It is far from a pipe-dream.   We're happy
to hear that the improvements we've made to MicroFlo have halved the
simulation times for users like Nathan and we very much want to keep
this trend going.

64-Bit Architecture

32-bit Windows systems are limited to 2 GB of RAM per process, a 64-bit
operating system installed on a machine with 4 GB or more of RAM will be
able to provide more than the 2 GB limit which a sufficiently complex
simulation would hit on an x86 Windows system reducing simulation time.
There's plenty of information available online that discusses how the
architecture of CPUs work so I won't waste everyone's time by
regurgitating it here.

4-5 Days for simulation

"In all it totalled 4500 thousand individual zones"... For a project of
the scale you described I would see this as a rather high number of
zones.  I would probably suggest a re-zoning strategy.  I assumed you
didn't mean 4,500,000 zones as the wording suggest and just mean 4,500
zones.

Running Simultaneous Simulations to reduce time

I'm not in sales so I'm not going to push this but if time is really of
the essence I would imagine running concurrent simulations would be
preferable to running them sequentially and perhaps this would outweigh
the cost of a license?

As always feel free to contact the support team directly for any
questions of this sort.

IES Technical Support