[TRNSYS-users] Thermal mass of glazings

Marion Hiller Hiller at Transsolar.com
Sun Jul 18 23:17:02 PDT 2021

Wirich,

my experience is that for some special cases the integration of glass capacities make sense.
Especially, if you compare results of glass temperature to measurements and your glazing system has a high solar absorptance in combination with thick glass panes (http://www.ibpsa.org/proceedings/BS2019/BS2019_211101.pdf):

CFS Model Improvement based on Measured Data of a 1:1 Scale Test Mock-up
Comparisons  of  measurements  at  a  1:1  scale  mock-up
with detailed thermal simulation offer a great opportunity
for model evaluation.
Due to the composition of the investigated glazing system
(8  mm  +  8  mm  PVB  laminated  glass,  solar  protection
coating, 5 mm glass and 8 mm glass) the authors extended
the  existing  complex  fenestration  model  (CFS)  of  the
multizone  building  model  of  TRNSYS  by  adding  heat
capacity for glass layers.
Simulation results with and without glass capacity
consideration  are  compared  to  measurements  at  a  1:1
scale facade mock-up.
The results show that the consideration of heat capacity of
the  glass  layers  improves  the  match  to  measured  data
significantly. The extended model resolves issues of high
peak temperatures and a shift in time of occurrence. The
simulation  results  of  the  improved  CFS  model  match
closely to the measurements of the mock-up.

Best,

Marion

Dipl.-Ing. Marion Hiller
+49 711 679 76 32 | hiller at transsolar.com<mailto:hiller at transsolar.com>

Transsolar
Stuttgart | Munich | Paris | New York

Transsolar Energietechnik GmbH | Curiestrasse 2 | 70563 Stuttgart | Germany