[TRNSYS-users] Fprime_function in Solar Collector Type

Jeff Thornton thornton at tess-inc.com
Wed May 13 11:17:26 PDT 2020

Julien,

In the TESS Solar Libraries add-on, our Type 538 is an evacuated tube
model with all of the bells and whistles; detailed incidence angle
modifiers, collector mass, controls for delivery of a specified
temperature output etc. I use it every day and it works really well. We
took the time a few years back to derive the F' function using the
quadratic efficiency equation approach and I can tell you that it wasn't
easy. If you'd like to see the details of the F' approach, the best
reference is "Solar Engineering of Thermal Processes" by Duffie and
Beckman. In this great solar book they derive the F' approach and apply
it to linear efficiency equation collectors.

May I ask why you are trying to write your own evacuated tube model when
both 71 and 538 handle most cases?

Jeff

---
Jeff Thornton
President - TESS LLC
3 N. Pinckney Street, Suite 202, Madison WI USA 53703
Office: (608) 274-2577 Fax: (608) 278-1475
www.tess-inc.com
E-Mail: thornton at tess-inc.com

On 05/13/2020 5:04 am, Julien Gambade via TRNSYS-users wrote:

> Dear Trnsys Users,
>
> I would like to program my Water-In-Glass Evacuated Tube Solar Collector.
> My idea was to start from the existing Type71 but I am stuck because i can't understand how the 'Fprime_function' works. I searched online, on the Programmers Guide and in the TrnsysFunctions.f90 but still, I don't understand.
>
> Can anyone know any references to help me ?
>
> Moreover, someone might already program an Water-In-Glass ETC, i would be happy if you have any advise or program to share.
>
> Best regards,
>
> --
>
> JULIEN GAMBADE
> DOCTORANT
> Institut de Recherche Dupuy de Lôme (UMR CNRS 6027)
> Centre de recherche Christian Huygens
> Rue de Saint-Maudé - 56100 Lorient - France
> julien.gambade at univ-ubs.fr
> www.irdl.fr [2]

Links:
------