[TRNSYS-users] Collector SRCC test data - Aperture or gross area

Jeff Thornton thornton at tess-inc.com
Thu Jul 16 10:37:27 PDT 2020

Janeet,

Each of the collectors you specified has a gross area of 5.24 square
meters - so with a total area of 42 square meters that means you have 8
collectors. How can you have a string of 5 collectors in series with 8
collectors? In series means that the same molecule of water flows
through 5 collector modules one right after each other.

You chose efficiency mode 2 - which means your efficiency equation is
based on Tave-Tamb. But the SRCC document clearly lists the efficiency
as Tin-Tamb. Change your efficiency mode to 1.

<Assuming TRNSYS uses gross areas and average temperatures.>

Not sure what that means. And don't assume - verify. The TRNSYS
efficiency equation can use of three modes; inlet, average or outlet and
you need to set this correctly. As for gross area - the model wants the
area consistent with the efficiency equation. So if your efficiency is
based on gross area then gross area should be used.

If you have access to the TESS Libraries I strongly suggest you use Type
538 for the evacuated tube model. It's a significant upgrade over Type
71.

Did you create an external data file for the IAM's based on the
published data from the certification? Or did you just use a default
external file?

Jeff

---
Jeff Thornton
President - TESS LLC
3 N. Pinckney Street, Suite 202, Madison WI USA 53703
Office: (608) 274-2577 Fax: (608) 278-1475
www.tess-inc.com
E-Mail: thornton at tess-inc.com