[TRNSYS-users] Coupling Trnsys and Matlab

Widl Edmund Edmund.Widl at ait.ac.at
Tue Jan 21 03:42:23 PST 2020

Dear Salma,

A possible option to accomplish this is to use the TRNSYS FMU Export Utility [1], which allows to export TRNSYS models as so-called “Functional Mock-up Units” (FMUs). FMUs are software modules intended for co-simulation, which can be used in this specific case to connect to TRNSYS. To use the TRNSYS FMU, you have to import it to MATLAB, which can be done for example with the FMI++ MATLAB Toolbox [2] and others.

There’s one caveat though: At the moment, the TRNSYS FMU Export Utility only works with TRNSYS 17, which is a 32-bit application. When accessing TRNSYS via an FMU, also MATLAB would have to be 32-bit. This means you would have to use MATLAB version R2015b (which was the last 32-bit version of MATLAB) or older.

Best regards,
Edmund

[1] http://trnsys-fmu.sourceforge.io
[2] http://matlab-fmu.sourceforge.io